|An Old Sycamore Tree in Israel|
Amos answered to Amaziah, "I was no prophet, nor have I belonged to a company of prophets; I was a shepherd and a dresser of sycamores."
- Amos 7:14
Other Biblical References to Sycamores
1) King Solomon was given credit for bringing about as many cedar trees as the sycamores in the foothhills of Israel (1 Kings 10:27 and 2 Chronicles 9:27).
2) An overseer for King David named "Baal-hanon the Gederite" was in charge of the olive trees and sycamores of the foothills (1 Chronicles 27:28).
3) The writer of Psalm 78 reminds readers of the plague of hail upon the Egyptians:
He killed their vines with hail,
their sycamores with frost.
- Psalm 78:47
4) Isaiah made a brief mention of sycamores when writing about the fall of the northern kingdom (Israel):
Sycamores are felled,
but we will replace them
- Isaiah 9:9b
5) Zacchaeus the Tax Collector climbed a sycamore tree in order to get a good view of Jesus in Jericho (Luke 19:4).